What I am working on:
The Fall semester is over, the grades are in. My major sewing oriented project at the moment is revising my pattern program to work in inkscape as an extension. Thus far this has involved learning how use inkscape, python, svg, xml . It is nowhere near complete however I am making progress. So far, it only draws the yoke.
Some of the advantages of writing it as an inkscape extension are:
- Inkscape is open-source
- Inkscape is multi-platform
- It is very easy to install extensions into inkscape. Just drop a few files into the inkscape extension folder and you are done. ( the major challenge on the Mac is to find the inkscape extension folder)
The screen shot below shows the inkscape window with the PPD-Shirt extension dialog.
Of course as I work on this program I realize ways to refine the program to make it more flexible. For example, giving the user the option of changing the shape of the yoke by adjusting a few parameters.
(Thanks to David Coffin for suggesting that a standard yoke should be included in the pattern.)
I expect to have a fully working version sometime in the Spring. I will have partial versions to play with before that.
Meanwhile, not wanting to spend all my time on the computer, I have been sewing a few more shirts (I still have much to learn about sewing shirts). Currently I am having fun with snaps instead of buttons. Snaps may not be as classy but they are way more fun to install.
White linen shirt with snaps and a shaped cuff:
I have also been experimenting with shaping the cuff. The goal was to make the cuff longer but have it cutaway around the thumb metacarpal so as not to impede the hand motion.
I also made the same shirt out of a pink chambray.
My next sewing project will probably be some trousers.
I did a very-very quick muslin of Joost De Cock’s “Textbook Trousers” at MakeMyPattern.com and they look very promising. Also, I am in desperate need of trousers.
Thanks for reading.